BIOGRAPHY OF W. R. HUGHES
W. R. Hughes, a pioneer
settler of Dallas County, Texas, was the eldest child of
William H. Hughes and Zuleka Kittrell Hughes.
This biography was published in
Memorial and Biographical History of Dallas County, Texas (1892).*
Bracketed matter was added.
W. R. HUGHES, a mail carrier, of East Dallas [Texas], was born in middle Tennessee, Murray [Maury] county, in 1850, the eldest of five children, born to William H. and Zuleka (Kittrell) Hughes, natives of South and North Carolina. The father, who was educated for a Methodist minister, was married at Mount Pleasant, Tennessee, and in the fall of 1852 he came to Dallas county, settling in Precinct No. 1, where he bought and improved a farm, and also followed the ministry. He assisted in building the Cochran Chapel Methodist Episcopal Church, and later moved into the city of Dallas. During the war he was Presiding Elder of this and adjoining counties, and is now stationed at Pilot Point, Texas. In 1882 Mr. Hughes laid out Hughes' addition to the city of Dallas, which contained about nine acres, and was located in the eighth and ninth wards.
The subject of this sketch, W. R. Hughes, was reared to farm life, and educated in the schools of Columbia, Tennessee. In 1852 he came to Dallas county, and in 1885 was appointed mail carrier of East Dallas, which position he has since filled. He has taken an active interest in politics, voting with the Democratic party, and socially is a member of the Knights of the Golden Eagle. He has witnessed the complete growth of Dallas, and has always taken an active interest in everything for the good of the city and county. Mr. Hughes was married at Farmers' Branch [Texas], in 1887, to Miss Belle Gilberts, a native of Dallas county, and a daughter of S. H. and Julia (Richey) Gilbert, natives of Mississippi and Tennessee. They came to Dallas county at an early day, settling at Farmers' Branch, where the mother died in 1881, and the father in 1890. Mr. and Mrs. Hughes have one child, William Gilbert. Mrs. Hughes is a member of the Methodist Church.
*Memorial and Biographical History of Dallas County, Texas (Chicago: The Lewis Publishing Company, 1892), pp. 793–94. This book is available online here.