This biography of William A. Hyland
is from pages 130-31 of
Portrait and Biographical Record of the Eastern Shore of Maryland (1898).
Bracketed material has been added.
WILLIAM A. HYLAND. Among the leading industries of Galena, Kent County, is the large manufacturing establishment owned by this worthy citizen, whose mature life has been chiefly passed in this place. A man's success in the world of commerce is determined by his natural talents in part, but largely by simple energy, perseverance and will; by the hopeful quality of mind that is not easily discouraged, and that will not "give up the ship" until absolute certainty of disaster comes. Such a sturdy, indomitable bravery is found in the man of whom we write, and we are pleased to render him this brief tribute, at least.
Henry M. Hyland, father of our subject, was born in 1800, near Rock Hall, Kent County. With the exception of one year which he spent in Baltimore, he passed his entire life in the neighborhood of his birth. He learned the blacksmith's trade, and followed it, in connection with agricultural pursuits, as a means of obtaining a livelihood. He was fairly successful in a financial point of view, and was a man of genuine worth, commanding the respect of all who knew him. He was a leading member of the Episcopal Church, and died in 1851, when but fifty-one years of age. His wife, Maria Grant Hyland, was likewise a native of Kent County, and died, as she had lived, a faithful, conscientious Christian. She was the mother of eight children, whom she reared to be noble, trustworthy men and women.
Born March 24, 1833, William A. Hyland was brought up in the same locality as was his father before him. He remained under his parents' wise guidance until he was about sixteen, when he left home, to learn the trade of blacksmithing, at which he served a five years' apprenticeship. It was in January, 1855, that he first came to Galena to settle permanently. After working as a journeyman some six years, perhaps, he had by the end of this time saved up a sufficient sum of money to enable him to build a small shop on the identical ground that he still owns and has his factory upon. He first did general repairing of wagons, and blacksmithing, but later began the manufacture of plows, reapers, wagons, corn-shellers, etc., and as the trade steadily increased added more room to his shop until his present large plant was eventually evolved. He makes a specialty of the Hyland corn-shellers and Hyland field-rollers and in addition to these, handles a great many Deering binders and reapers, Birdsall traction engines and threshing machines, etc. His patronage is very widely extended, as his customers often are from a long distance. Once having dealt with him, they are always glad to favor him with their trade. Politically he is a strong Democrat, and served for four years as judge of the orphans' court a few years ago. Then, for four years each, he was one of the trustees of the almshouse, and was obliged to refuse further nominations on account of his years and the distance to the county seat. He is at present one of the school trustees. He has ever been on the side of progress and is a man fully in touch with the spirit of the age. Thirty years he has been identified with the Methodist Episcopal Church, and has officiated as class-leader and steward. He gives freely of his means to help onward the good cause of religion, and the poor find in him a sympathizing friend.
Mr. Hyland has been twice married. His first union was in 1861, with Mary C. Nordain [Naudain], whose parents lived in Odessa, Del. The Rev. John Allen performed the ceremony. Mrs. Hyland had six children, who survive her, she having died April 6, 1883. They are named as follows: Harry H., a merchant of New Jersey; John Allen, bookkeeper of the Mutual Reserve Fund Association of New York; Annie W., wife of Herbert Price, Queen Anne [Anne's] County [Maryland]; Elizabeth Grant, wife of J. R. Wilson, of this place; Emma E., wife of J. R. Van Zandt, agent at Sampson's railway station; and William A., who is connected with his father in business. The second marriage of Mr. Hyland, celebrated in 1886, Rev. George W. Townsend officiating, was with Catherine Clark, of Elkton, Md., and they have one son, Chester Arthur Gorman, who is still at home. Mrs. Hyland is a lady of refinement and many amiable qualities, which greatly endear her to all.